Sunday, March 16, 2014

Georgius Franchetti

Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia) courtyard
Venice, September 2013
(Photo by Trillian, Livorno Daily Photo)

“In 1894, the palace was acquired by its last owner, baron Giorgio Franchetti; throughout his lifetime, he amassed an important art collection and personally oversaw its extensive restoration, including the reconstruction of the stairway and the Cosmatesque courtyard with ancient marbles. In 1916, Franchetti bequeathed the Ca' d'Oro to the Italian State. It is now open to the public as a gallery.”
(Ca' d'Oro, Wikipedia)